- Your assigned student
- LVCA and its mission, goals, and requirements are dictated by the city, county, state, and Board of Directors
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Must consent to a background check.
- Must have solid reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Be well organized, good at planning, and an excellent listener.
- Need to be patient, friendly, encouraging, non-judgmental, and committed.
- Commit to one year of service.
- Provide eight hours of instruction per month (two hours/week).
- Make up missed sessions or have the student make up hours on a computer-learning program or with a conversation group. Substitute tutors can be arranged for absences of three weeks or more.
- Complete a monthly Progress Report.
- Be respectful of the student's confidentiality.
- Tutor only in a public place – not in your home or your student’s home.
- Have good communication with the office about difficulties such as: if the student is canceling on short notice, is not attending regularly, is regularly more than 15 minutes late to sessions, or if their personal problems impede the learning process.
- Have good communication with your student about changes in scheduling and upcoming events in our program.
- Regularly attend workshops and other professional development opportunities to be better informed about techniques and methods of effective tutoring.
- Notify the office of changes in contact information.
- Notify and explain to the Program Director if either the student or the tutor wishes to stop sessions.
- Return all books upon leaving the program.