Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question and can’t find the answer? Email us!
How many people in our area have low literacy skills?
In our region there are
- 9,000+ functionally illiterate adults
- 14,000 adults without a high school diploma
- 5,000 foreign nationals (and growing)
- Many Virginians over age 25 who have seriously limited literacy skills (about 20%)!
More info: Virginia Association for Adult and Continuing Education, Adult Education Facts 2017 (pdf)
How does LVCA’s program work?
Here’s a brief description of the typical steps we follow to match a learner with a tutor.
- Intake interview and confidential assessment of each learner
- Identification of the learner’s personal goals
- Learner begins independent computer-based learning while waiting for tutor “match”
- Learner is provided one-on-one tutoring for two hours a week (usually at the LVCA office or other public space
- Tutor is provided initial student-appropriate suggestions for curriculum from staff
- Tutor regularly checks in with LVCA staff for support and guidance; regularly provides a progress update on student
- Learner is retested and assessed for progress on a regular basis
What are your funding sources?
We rely on a variety of generous supporters:
- Individual Donors
- Fundraising Events (Wordplay)
- Government grants: Virginia Department of Education, City of Charlottesville, Albemarle County
- Area Organizations: United Way- Thomas Jefferson Area, BAMA Works Foundation, Charlottesville/Albemarle Community Foundation, Virginia Literacy Foundation, churches, clubs, and other private foundations
- $2,500 worth of Rosetta Stone licensing for student use is provided by Thomas Jefferson Adult+Center Education
I want to donate. How does my donation help?
Every dollar helps. But to give you a sense of the power of those dollars:
- $250 = Instructional Materials/Workbooks for 10 students
- $500 = Training for 10 Tutors
- $800 = Publication Joy of Writing, featuring students’ works
- $1,000 = One Student Tutored for One Year
- $5,000 = 7 new computer learning stations
- $10,000 = Lifetime Endowment Member
How can I get involved?
We’re so happy you asked! There are a few ways you can join our team:
Become a tutor.
Explore other volunteer opportunities.
Contribute money. Every dollar really helps.